Friday, May 11, 2007

Joyce Henderson's Story

My name is Joyce Henderson and I live in Salmon Arm. I look at our history – the treatment of the Japanese in the 1940s and of the Aboriginal children in the residential schools and think, “How could intelligent, thinking people allow this to happen?”. Then I wonder what we are doing now that our grandchildren will look back and say “How could intelligent people allow this to happen?” I think it will be the way we continually use our resources and abuse our environment.

My time living in Kenya and Ghana have made me aware of the need to conserve water and electricity – so conserving those two resources, recycling and using cloth shopping bags have been a normal part of my life. Lately I have been consciously using my car as little as possible and eating local foods when possible.

I am involved in Wheels for Change because it is an opportunity for citizens to become informed and involved in climate change – and to make an impact with municipal and provincial governments re what needs to be done to influence climate change.

No comments: