Monday, June 18, 2007

Steve Loo's Story

Steve, who are you and what do you do? I am an activist and college student in Calgary, Alberta. Since the fall of 2004, I have been studying non-profit management at Mount Royal College. For paid work, I do night shifts with autistic children and youth in a group home (more specifically, I deal with insomnia, urine messes, seizures, and attempts at sneaking out). I am a board member of the Arusha Centre through which I have organized and promoted multiple events since 2004. In 2005, I joined the Otesha Project Prairie Tour as we rode on our bikes from Calgary to Yorkton (approximately 1200 km) to do environmental and social justice presentations and workshops in schools, community halls, churches and people's living rooms. In this past May, I was co-organizer for a bike trip from Calgary to Kananaskis (approximately 120 km) for the Trails to Sustainability Conference focusing on environmental education. In a few months, I will begin a new job with Katimavik as project leader.

How did you become involved in environmentalism and climate change? I spent much of my childhood not really understanding my role within community and environment. I had my share of experiences involving 20 minute showers, driving and idling a gas-guzzling car, etc. My first great leap into environmentalism (beyond collecting cans and bottles for recycling) happened while in Australia. As my first major traveling experience, I spent 8 and a half months hitch-hiking around the country. Loved every second of it.

At one point, I hiked through part of the desert near Alice Springs. When your life depends on all the water you're carrying on your back, you gain a whole new perspective on this liquid that most people take for granted every day. I also learned a great deal about the importance of planning and preparation. I finished my long dry hike with roughly 200 mL of water and one extremely dry throat. I quickly rethought my attitudes and behaviors towards water. This meant shorter showers, turning off the water tap when brushing my teeth, etc. With some research, I learnt that the entire region surrounding Alice Springs was drawing its water from underground lakes and streams. But this water source was quickly running dry (because of long showers, watering lawns, etc). Yet many people continued consuming water needlessly as if this wasn't a desert. I wanted to say something but that would have been hypocritical considering the water practices in Alberta (oil drilling, tar sands, long showers and watering lawns, etc). I am part of the problem and therefore must be part of the change. After returning to Calgary, during a process over 3 or 4 years, I had to rethink much of my life – not just water consumption, but also transportation, food, clothes, media, government and our education system. As a result, it gradually changed to one involving better health and environment, greater creative and organizational skills, and more critical thinking.

For example, now I am:
1. Using my bike as my main form of transportation including winter time (I still drive once a week through carsharing)
2. Using less paper (in fact, I haven't bought any new paper in 3 years);
3. Having not just shorter showers but also having staggered and fewer showers; recently we bought a dual flush toilet. Woohoo!
4. Creating my own artistic notebooks reusing old materials
5. Becoming more integrated with my local economy – not just local foods but also locally made products and services (yay Calgary Dollars)
6. Organizing and promoting documentary screenings focusing on social justice and environmental issues, and showcasing local activists working on local causes
7. Gardening (with mixed success but still trying)
8. Questioning and challenging our politicians, journalists, teachers and other “professionals” (along with fellow students) regarding government policy and media portrayal of all the issues
9. Encouraging my friends to take up more sustainable lifestyles while emphasizing that this is progression rather than perfection.

Why do I want to be a part of the Wheels of Change bike tour? I was planning to take a vacation and wanted to experiment with biking as the key means of transportation. Obviously this is cheaper and less emissions than flying or driving. I'm hoping that this experience will allow me to better absorb my surroundings and the communities that we will pass through on the way to the coast. Also, I will meet some really cool bikers along the way. Oryx the Black Stallion (my trusty bike) and I are proud to be part of this bike trip.

1 comment:

Jamie C said...

GO STEVE + ONYX!!