Friday, April 13, 2007

Jon Corbett's Story

My name is Jon Corbett, I am an assistant professor in the Community, Culture and Global Studies unit at the University of British Columbia Okanagan, my field is resource management and sustainability. Through my research and teaching I have come to realize that climate change is the single most important issue facing society today. It is an issue that will directly impact our own lives - as well as those of our children, grandchildren and all future generations. I feel that it is vitally important to take every opportunity to raise awareness of this issue.

My story is about some recent work I have done with students at UBC O to discuss issues of sustainability on the campus. My students interviewed university administrators, faculty members and other students to try to get to grips with what it means to be a sustainable campus. They then created short films outlining the steps that UBC O needs to take to be a truly sustainable institution.

Wheels for Change is an open and encompassing initiative that encourages everyone to express their feelings about climate change, share their hopes and fears with others, and ultimately to bring about positive change. I am very excited about the Wheels for Change ride in July. I am encouraging my students to take part in the journey. I look forward to meeting many others, and perhaps even you, on this journey.

No comments: